Thursday, June 11, 2015

Illiteracy SUCKS: Muskoka Novel Writing Marathon and Fundraiser

I don’t like asking for money. Whether it’s for myself, or it’s for any other reason, really. I suck at it. But sometimes it’s necessary.

That said, you all know reading is a big part of my life. It's kept me on the brink of sanity when I was losing my mind. It's calmed me down when I wanted to beat something senseless. It's blown my mind. It's made me laugh, cry, swear, sweat, and smile. Reading is important to me. Reading has saved my life. I wouldn't be who I am today without it. Neither would my kids. And I’m willing to bet something you've read in the past has stuck with you and has helped form the person you are today. Whether it be a piece of fiction, or the text books you studied from to help you gain the career you have today. Reading did this for you.

And that's what this “asking for money” thing is all about; raising money to support literacy programs. Why? Because damn near half of all Canadians can't read, and that's absolute crap (It’s 42%, for any of you nerdlingers who need a number to attach to that).

This needs to change, and we can help.

For 72 hours, and in line with my insane thirst for excessive and potentially crazy-making self-torture, I have rather brazenly decided to sit down with 39 other writers and put your money where my mouth is. I'm going to write the s*** out of something. Can you imagine that? Me? Three days. Sitting still. Writing.


But I need your help.

Each writer is asked to raise a minimum of $500 toward the YMCA Muskoka Literary Services literacy programs. For more information on “where the money goes” please click here.

If you've ever been entertained, irritated, made happy, or made pissed off, by something you read... then something you've read has affected you in some way – and that’s important. There are a lot of people who haven't experienced that.

Please follow this link and click on the DONATE NOW button and then sit back, comfortable in the knowledge that you've helped me sit at a table and tear my hair out, curse a lot, and then try to string one word after another in some sort of coherent order.


Please, together we can work to end illiteracy in Canada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment